Thursday, March 19, 2009

Yet Another Quarter 3 Post

The Night of the Gun by David Carr shows Carr's and others double life. They exist both as a drug addict and as a normal human being. In the mid-eighties Carr was living in Minneapolis, doing drugs and, "breaking stories, winning some awards, and beginning to feel my range as a journalist" (75). In the morning Carr would wake up, go to work, write, then at night go out to buy/sell/do a different variety of drugs. It's like he had a secret identity. No one at his work new of his addiction. This shows that we don't really see what's right in front of us. Something that we would think would be so obvious, drug addiction, is easily covered. It also goes to show that even people with problems, drug ones in particular, can still succeed in a normal society.
The mother of some of Carr's kids, Anna, also lead this double life. Another old friend describes her saying, "And, you know, she owned a house, she had kids she was taking care of" (127). This showed me a different view of a life that I've never experienced. It's so strange to think that people actually live like this; with two totally different worlds overlapping. The children Anna has at the point are not Carr's. But when they do eventually have children, he sobers up and takes care of them while she continues to use. Still, the children she has at the time have a father who seems not to be there while she uses. I cannot judge this, I suppose, because I have never experienced this part of life, but I can't seem to wrap my head around why people do this. This opened my eyes to how blind I can be to what else is going around not so far away from me.

No comments: